THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THIS AWESOME TRIP!
DEADLINE TO REGISTER FOR THIS TRIP WAS AUG. 15, 2014
STAY TUNED FOR 2015 DATES AND DETAILS
October 2nd – 10th, 2014
From Vancouver Island.com:
“The rugged and remote Esperanza Inlet and Nuchatlitz Inlet region on the west coast of Vancouver Island is rich in native culture and history, being the traditional territory of the Nuu-chah-nulth First Nation, who inhabited these lands for thousands of years before the arrival of the Spanish in 1774 and Captain James Cook in 1778. Nuchatlitz Provincial Park on Nootka Island protects a number of archaeological sites, evidence that the area has been inhabited for millennia by First Nations people drawn to the region by the abundance of natural resources. These sites include ancient burial sites on and around Nootka Island, located in caves just off the beach.
These inlets, including the finger inlets that branch off from them (Port Elize, Espinosa Inlet, Zeballos Inlet) were gouged out by glaciers during the last ice age, and are extremely remote and sparsely populated. This isolation is enhanced by the stunning scenery, attracting anglers, kayakers, divers, campers and hikers to the wilderness area.This coastline is known for it’s ocean swells as the Pacific rolls in all the way from Japan, superb outer reef systems, and long expanses of pristine and deserted beaches.
Marine wildlife in the area includes killer whales (Orca), migrating gray whales, seals, porpoises and sea otters. Land mammals include black bear, cougar and deer.”
OUR BASE CAMP
- We enjoy small waves rolling in from the Pacific to our beach head full of white sand
- Looking towards the Pacific we see the sunset in the west.
- We maintain a simple and workable toilet system tent and then a separate shower tent, with heated water….
Yes, a Toilet and Shower!!!
- We have a selection of the latest gear for clients.
- We will supply a recommended gear list for all customers upon receipt of deposit.
- We use Dutch Ovens for all our meals creating main courses and deserts daily.
- Please do not expect to loose weight while on our tours – folks have tried to no avail!!
- 9 days Thursday to following Friday
- Two nights hotel in Gold River
- All meals on MV Uchuck and during trip
- Tents, sleeping pads, camp gear
- Shower tent
- Toilet tent
- Kayaks, and all required gear to safely paddle.
- Paddling instruction upon request.
- MV Uchuck fees included
BONUS OFFER – We will be conducting a Paddle Canada Sea Kayak Skills Level 1 Assessment in conjunction with the trip. The first 6 (SIX) customers who reserve their trip AND indicate that they would like to take the Paddle Canada certification while on the trip will get their course for NO CHARGE! That’s a $250.00 value, but spaces are limited to just SIX students!
Cost per person $ 2,700.00 plus HST.
Require 40% deposit upon booking.
Full refund if requested 45 days prior to trip. Medical questionnaire required with full disclosure of medication, allergies and conditions that you may be restricted with.
OUR RIDE, THE MV UCHUCK III
MV Uchuck III, a 149 foot long converted WWII minesweeper, delivers us to the destination and offloads us on a pallet sling in our kayaks directly onto the water, which is nothing short of amazing. Our reliable and official transport vehicle for our trips. Enjoy home cooked meals and beverages along the way to our departing location.The MV Uchuck sails the Fjords of Nootka Island and the west coast of Vancouver Island delivering mail, supplies and clients to wilderness communities along the way.
Your Host for Nootka Island 2014, Ed Sullivan
Grand River Kayak founder and lead guide, Ed Sullivan is your host for this trip of a lifetime. With 15 years of paddling experience, and nearly 10 years of guiding and teaching sea kayaking, Ed wanted to offer adventure trips to his paddling clients. The Pacific Northwest Coast of BC is a paddlers paradise, and the Nootka Island/Nuchatlitz trip is the ideal mix of pristine coast, awesome sunsets, and varied flora and fauna. When Ed began talking about working with local guide and industry expert, Mark Hall, about joining forces to offer this trip, we just knew we had to make it happen.
“My goal with this trip to provide a unique sea kayaking experience – part expedition, part instructional, all fun! We want participants to go away from this trip with their minds blown! Anything less is unacceptable.” - Ed Sullivan
Our Local Guide for Nootka Island 2014, Mark Hall
“There are lots of kayak trips in more easily accessible areas, like the Broken Group Islands, but Nuchatlitz is what us guides tend to keep to ourselves. I grew up here, so its my turf and I know it better than anyone, the good and bad. We are in virgin territory not encumbered by other paddlers for the most part, very rarely in October do we see anyone.” - Mark Hall
Mark has been living and guiding in the area for over 20 years. He has been involved in the industry through his involvement with several kayak manufacturers, in sales, design, manufacturing and marketing.
What’s NOT Included?
- Return transportation to and from Gold River, BC
- Group travel may be arranged if numbers permit, to save cost on expedition.
- Two dinners in Gold River
- Recommended gear list will be supplied with deposit (personal items, toiletries, etc)
- A minimum of a self rescue class is a must have for all tours.
WHERE IS NOOTKA ISLAND ?